Sacred Heart N.S., Newbawn, Co.Wexford
( 051-428416: firstname.lastname@example.org & 16072O www.newbawnns.com
- To enable pupils to acquire basic swimming skills while they are at Sacred Heart NS
- To comply with the requirements of the Revised Curriculum in aquatics.
- Each pupil will attend a 5/6 week session in a swimming pool annually from 2nd – 6th class
- The swimming pool, The Apex, New Ross, is reserved annually for a 5/6 week block
- Costs incurred by hiring of pool, and payment of instructors necessitate a charge being imposed on each pupil. This charge is subsidised by the Parents Association and the Board of Management. Monies are non-refundable as initial balance must be paid in full.
- A member of The Apex staff will organize the swimming programme for all classes from second to sixth
- Instruction in the pool will be provided by qualified swimming instructors in The Apex.
Travel and Supervision Arrangements
Pupils will be accompanied by and supervised by their class teachers, SNA / and/or SEN teachers. The class teacher / SEN teacher / SNA will provide supervision before and after the swimming lesson.
Pupils not attending due to sudden / short illness will be supervised on school premises. Written permission from parent / guardian is required.
Should a pupil opt out from attending any of the swimming programme, a written note must be received from a parent / guardian. Such pupils will be supervised on school premises.
Health and Safety
Best practice in relation to the supervision, instruction and child protection procedures as outlined by the Irish Sports Council, Swim Ireland and the National Safety Council will be adhered to at all times.
Pupils are required to behave at all times in a manner that ensures the safety of all involved in school swimming.
Parents/guardians will receive a standard letter providing information on school swimming before their child starts their swimming term.
Where a parent/guardian has a health concern regarding their child’s participation in swimming, professional advice must be sought before the child participates in the swimming lesson. Pupils unable to attend will be supervised at school.
In the best interest of the child, it is the duty of parents/guardians to inform the class teacher and/or Principal with regard to any health condition that may affect the child in the pool. This information will be held in confidence and provided on a need to know basis to the swimming instructors.
Deodorants etc. must not be brought to the pool as the dressing rooms are confined spaces. The Health and Safety Guidelines outlined by the pool authorities will be strictly adhered to.
Monitoring / Evaluation / Review:
Policy is revised annually or at other times if deemed necessary.
This policy has been in operation since September 2017.
The policy was ratified by the Board of Management on ________________ 2017.